You’ve probably noticed that most people have a preference between vaping and smoking Delta-8 and THC-O. Even within your own friends groups it seems to be split down the middle between those that like the ritualistic “smoking circle” versus those that just puff on their vape cartridge or disposable whenever and wherever they please. Is there a real difference between the two? Does vaping get you more baked? Is it safer to vape versus smoke?
Today, we’ll dive into the science behind these questions and more. Keep reading to learn all about both methods’ benefits and drawbacks between vaping and smoking your favorite Eighty Six goodies.
Vaping vs. Smoking – What’s the Real Difference?
The results are in – smoking and vaping are the two most popular ways to enjoy cannabis and hemp products. This is especially the case if you want to experience the psychoactive effects of THC, Delta-8 THC, HHC, or THC-O.
The other method people often sue to consume these cannabinoids are edibles. That has its very own set of benefits and drawbacks we’ll save for another article. As a quick summary however, edibles typically take longer for the effects to kick in. While you can feel the effects from smoking or vaping within a matter of minutes, it can take up to two hours for edibles to start working its magic. Still, the high from edibles is usually more intense and lasts longer than either smoking or vaping.
Anyways, back to the inhalable methods – Both vaping and smoking are similar in that you inhale the psychoactive cannabinoids. Regardless of the product being Delta-8 THC, THC-O Acetate, or HHC, the cannabinoids make their way from your lungs into your bloodstream in a matter of minutes with the psychoactive effects kicking in quickly through both consumption methods in a matter of minutes.
The differences between the two consumption methods are the devices, the type of hemp-derived psychoactive cannabinoid being used, and the vapor or smoke emitted. There may also be a difference in how the psychoactive experience will affect you, since many say they experience a more intense effect from vaping.
Vaping requires a vaporizing device, like a vape pen vaporizing an oil or distillate. Upon vaporization, vapor is inhaled. Smoking on the other hand, involves a combustible flower or ground-up shake that is burned and inhaled.
How to Smoke Delta-8 THC or THC-O
If you choose to smoke your cannabinoids, there are a few things to consider:
- What method do you want to use to smoke? The most popular methods for smoking Delta-8 and THC-O flower are bongs, pipes, and joints (But if you thought those were the only options, you are mistaken. You can also smoke a blunt or dab the weed. We can chat more about hose methods another time.) Based on the method you want to try, you need to use/buy a bong or pipe, or you need to roll a joint with some joint paper.
- Strain selection is key. After deciding on which smoking method to use, you’ll need to get the strain. There are quite literally thousands of strains to choose from, so it’s best to do your research on the type you’re more comfortable with. Sativa strains are famous for their energizing head high while Indica strains usually produce a full-body relaxation-centric buzz.
- What other products do you need? Although not a requirement, you may find other products useful as well – like a grinder, a lighter, and something to mask the smell should you choose to smoke indoors.
Once you’ve gathered up the items you need, you can get to smoking. How you do this changes based on the method. Smoking from bong, for example, requires a bong, water in the bong, ground up flower, and a lighter.
Should you choose to skip any of the guesswork of shopping for a setup, you can easily purchase one of our Delta-8 or THC-O pre-rolls. These include exotic strains infused with terpenes, flavoring, and a whole-lot of your favorite hemp-derived cannabinoids for one chill experience!
How to Vape Delta-8, THC-O, & HHC
Now, onto vaping. Smoking’s hip younger cousin, if you will. To vape, you need to consider the following:
- What vape device do I want? There are a handful of different devices you can use, from disposable vape pens to vape cartridges.
- What strain or flavor do I prefer? Similar to smoking, you can choose the type of vibe you want. Again, there is a fair bit of research to have should you find yourself choosing between a sativa, hybrid, or indica strain. Most brands, including Eighty Six take the guesswork out – taking exotic strains and pairing them with delicious flavors for an experience unlike anything you’ve experienced before.
Vaping keeps it simple. You don’t need other products – just the vape cart or pen. Even better, the smell isn’t very noticeable, increasing your discreet level without much effort. The instructions for vaping vary slightly depending on the device being used. Some pens are ready to go and just need you to inhale. Others may have an on/off switch and need some time to heat up first.
Which Gets You Higher?
The question of whether vaping or smoking will get you higher is a question our customer service team answers at least 30 times a day.
Recent research found that vaporized cannabinoids produces greater effect than can make you feel as if you’re higher. The study looked at the effects of smoked and vaporized cannabis in adults who rarely use cannabis. They found that vaporized cannabis produced more intense effects and higher concentrations of THC in the blood than smoking an equal amount.
While the study only had 17 participants who were not regular cannabis users, it’s important to take the results with a grain of salt. Many people, however, claim to experience more-intense effects when they vape vs. smoke, so the researchers could definitely be on to something.
Since Vaping Produces a More Intense Effect, How Safe is It?
Both vaping and smoking carries risks. Over the past few years, however, vaping has become more popular because many claim it’s significantly safer to smoking. But is it true? Is vaping safer than smoking?
The answer is yes…maybe.
Many argue that vaping Delta-8 or other cannabinoids is the safer alternative because you are not inhaling smoke and the several carcinogens that come with that. In theory, vaping is probably safer for this reason alone. It’s also a more-efficient use of cannabinoids because there is little-to-no loss due to combustion.
Since there are so many vape devices out there, however, some sold by shady companies that skirt safety precautions may skew this data. Should you choose to purchase a Delta-8, THC-O, or HHC vape device, be sure to purchase your products from a reputable company like Eighty Six, which stands by their products A-Z.
The Benefits of Vaping vs. Smoking
We mentioned some benefits vaping has over smoking earlier on. To quickly recap, there are a few reasons why people prefer vaping their favorite hemp-derived cannabinoids:
- It’s much more discreet – Vapor gives off a very mild odor and it’s often scented in whatever flavor the product is. And since it’s vapor, the emissions dissipate quicker than smoke would. Due to the increased level of discreetness one can enjoy, you can very well take your HHC Disposables on the go, enjoy it at home and people would hardly notice, if at all.
- It’s easier, in every aspect – Vaping is just easier all around. You simply inhale from the device and feel the effects in a matter of minutes. When smoking anything except a THC-O pre-roll, you’d need a rig and several other accessories to achieve the same effect.
- It’s less mess you have to deal with – You can probably picture the “workstation” involved from your buddies that smoke. There’s ground up flower all over the place, a messy collection of glassware and tools to clean them out, and let’s not forget that smoking bud often leaves an odor that’s difficult to get rid of once it sets. While this isn’t a huge deal for most people, it does make vaping more appealing for some.
Although there is a difference between both vaping and smoking, it all comes down to personal preference. Many believe that vaping is less harmful than smoking, and although we need more research, it’s likely true. Also, many find that vaping is a more-straightforward and discreet way to enjoy your favorite hemp-derived products!